Friday, May 10, 2013

musings of an unemployed something-or-other.



As much as I don’t want to admit this, being unemployed has changed my life. I wanted to be one of those disaffected women that says with a sigh, “Well, now that I don’t have an oppressive 9 to 5 job, I can finally get started on my novel/wedding photography business/cupcake mail-order company/Montessori school/organic home garden.”  Wouldn’t it have been lovely if being asked to leave my awful job had resulted in that kind of earth-shaking revelation? Wouldn’t it have been lovely if I had realized it over a cup of chai tea, while staring calmly out the window of my local café?

This work, the work of being unemployed, of having to craft your own days, of trying to figure out if what you were doing was what you wanted to do, and if it wasn’t, what it is you actually want instead, is harder than any job I’ve had. It requires resilience and creativity and even though I believe I possess those two things, I don’t believe I have them in the quantity that this situation calls for. Some other things I have a little bit of, but not enough: Patience. Self-love. Forgiveness. Confidence, even.

I realize that this doesn’t have to be a rearranging period – that I could just focus on getting a job in the same vein as before and hope for the best, knowing that a steady paycheck and dependable schedule will be enough for me. But that’s just it.  I don’t know that those things are enough.  I’ve gotten used to them, I’ve become accustomed to them, and I’ve readjusted my life based on their existence. I spent years working a cockamamie schedule for peanuts, never knowing when I’d have a day off or whether or not I’d be able to pay all of the bills. And in retrospect, when I hold that part of my life up to my new 30-year old standards for happiness, it looks as though I wasn’t actually happy.  I had very few friends and I drank more than was advisable for a girl my age and I was making far less than I deserved for the work I was doing. But at the moment, way back then, I didn’t know I wasn’t happy. I’m sure I didn’t greet every day with a yawp of deranged joy, but I was good. I was making it work and surviving and doing my best to have a little fun.

Why am I suddenly under the impression that that’s not enough anymore? Why am I terrified to loosen my death grip on my creature comforts? I’ve come up with this theory that anything different than a new version of my 9 to 5 life will result in extreme, endless poverty. I will be unhappy all the time and I’ll never eat out at a restaurant or order Indian take-out ever, EVER AGAIN. Every time my friends ask me out for cocktails, I will whistle into my hollow bank account, ravaged by student loan payments and book costs, and shake my head solemnly. Sorry, ladies, I’ve committed myself to a life of navel-gazing and ramen-eating. No whisky sours for me.

This ugly habit of mine – making my fantasies as extreme and finite as possible – is not a new one.  When I fantasize about the future I will have with a boy I’ve been dating for only a few weeks, I suffer the same fate. The pictures I paste together are severe, painstakingly detailed, all of something or nothing at all. Every job I imagine accepting is the greatest job in the history of jobs. Each dress I buy on credit will result in an immediate improvement in my hairstyle, complexion, sex life, and IQ.

Perhaps my problem isn’t the unemployment, or the confidence/patience/etc. that I perceive to be lacking. It’s moderation. I need to moderate my imagination, allow myself to dream that perhaps, life will simply shake out as life will. That perhaps, some things will work out swimmingly, and other will simply work out, and others will fall flat on the floor with an audible thud. That perhaps, even with all of this messy gray area to deal with, I will make the best of this cobbled-together, sometimes-wonderful-sometimes-ordinary situation, because I actually am resilient, and creative, and all of those other things. And, not least of all, because I always do.

No comments:

Post a Comment